Tuesday, March 4, 2014

First Day of Daycare!

Today went a lot easier than I expected. I thought I'd cry the entire way from the daycare to work and that the rest of the day would be filled with anxiety and wondering if they would think I was a complete psycho for calling every half hour. I did good. I called only ONCE (it helps that Taylor stopped by and texted me an update), and I didn't cry. That is, until I got home and realized how much I missed him.

I admit, I did take packing his stuff a little too far. I packed five bottles. Yeah. Five. Why they would need five bottles is beyond me. I guess I thought they didn't know how to wash bottles and would, therefore, need every single bottle that Sully owns. I also packed four bibs, three changes of clothes, a snowsuit (like they would actually take him outside in this frigidity), two blankets, his Monk Monk, teething rings, two things of butt paste (because apparently, one isn't enough for a single day of diaper changing), baby lotion, orajel, gas drops, two binkies... Yeah they probably thought I was never coming back the way I packed.

But you know what? They didn't call me saying they needed something! So there. Mission accomplished.

I also made a list of all the things I packed. With bullet points. Along with a page (front and back) of everything I could think of that they would need to know about Sully. Anxiety? Ya think?

Well, I dropped him off, said goodbye probably seven times, and went to Dunkin Donuts to get a coffee. It was pretty nice to order a cup of coffee without worrying if someone needed their little booty cleaned. They had redone the whole inside of the shop, so it actually looks like a cafe with comfy chairs and everything. I was pretty stoked about that, and told the barista as much. Turns out they had done all that way back in November. *cringe* I'd say it was time for me to get out of the house.

Work went very well - in fact, it was like I never left. I think that's what made today so much easier than it could have been. I was going somewhere I know to work with great people I know. So really, the only thing I had to worry about was Sully Bear.

And you know what? I worried for nothing, and I kinda knew that that might be the case somewhere in the back of my mind, but still... He's my little man, ya know? I swung by the daycare on my lunch break (there was no convincing myself not to do that) and he was totally crashed out and happy. Apparently, he had been playing with the other baby all day. (There's only two little babies in the daycare, and guess what? They have the exact same birthday! How cool is that?) So Sully made a buddy and was eating and sleeping like a champ. He'd also been smiling and laughing all day....

Enter Mom.

Once I left work, I couldn't wait to see my little guy and know all about how his day went. He was in the back in his own super secret baby hideout (where the babies play all day), and wasn't embarrassed at all that I scooped him up kissing and squeezing him.

The girls at the daycare were awesome and had his stuff all ready to go up front. I put him in his carseat and proceeded to put his jacket on which um... hmmm... didn't go so well...

Sully started screaming at the top of his lungs like putting on his jacket was the most horrifying experience in the history of baby experiences. Even worse than birth. Or circumcision. The kid was tomato red and I had no idea what to do because soothing him was NOT working. Did I pinch him? Did I accidentally scratch him? I have no idea, but the girls were all like, "Oh no! He's been so good all day!!" Of course. Because I've put his jacket on him a million times and he's never made a peep. I guess he needed to make some kind of point, but honestly, I'm still perplexed.

I got him strapped in and finally got him calmed down after a decent amount of screaming and wondering if people thought I was abusing my child.

After I have a happy baby in tow, I make my way to the still running car and, oh crap, the door is locked. I try every single friggin' door, and am walking in circles around my car (to the probably amusement of the full parking lot), about to completely freak out until, thank goodness, the driver's side is unlocked. (Seriously? Could you imagine if I had to go in and ask to use a phone because I locked my baby and myself out? Humiliating.)

Ahhhh... Finally. On our way home. LOL. I laugh at myself. And I hear Sully laugh in the back, so all's well in the world of Mahaffey mother and son. I ask him how his day was and, in true Sully fashion, he proceeded to tell me alllllll about it and then some.

Needless to say, the little man chowed down, chatted through story time, and konked out.

Now Mom has a "little" glass of wine ;) and is looking forward to Sully's dad getting home with dinner! (I'll be happy to see him too, of course....)


1 comment:

  1. Lol! that's awesome! of course Sully had to give you a little grief, that's what Mamma's boys do! can't wait to hear more Sully adventures!

    love ya